How to bleed a cooling system in a BMW E39. Rules for pumping the cooling system
How to remove air in the cooling system
We lift the front of the car to a height of 25-40cm, this is done in order to facilitate the flow of liquid throughout the CS (cooling system).
Now we start pumping the system itself.
Firstly, you need to make sure that the system is fully functional, both pumps and the thermostat were working, there were no damaged places where liquid could flow out. We’ll also need a partner.
1. Turn on the ignition, set the climate to the maximum temperature and fan speed (blowing) for a minimum of 1-2 divisions. This will open the heater valves, thus starting the pump that pumps coolant
2. Open the radiator filler plug
3. Unscrew the plugs to remove air from the system (plastic screws from the radiator and thermostat housing) If you see raw places under them, mandatory replacement.
4. Fill the antifreeze in the tank with a small jet ( it is advisable to pour the liquid into the engine with a temperature of no more than 60C), until it begins to pour out of the holes under the plastic screws and the antifreeze will not go without air bubbles.
5. As soon as you see that the liquid is poured out without air bubbles, wrap the plugs and top up the antifreeze to the edges.
6. Start the engine, let it run at idle, turn on the 7 test on the dashboard
7. Waiting for when the temperature rises to 50-60 degrees, ask your partner to keep the the engine speed of 2500-3500 rpm, the Antifreeze should go away, you should add it and maintain the level
8. Waiting for the moment when a bypass, dense jet of coolant begins to beat from the bypass hole of the radiator
9. We ask the partner to engine speed to 5-6 thousand in short bursts. As soon as the antifreeze is free of air bubbles and the partner reports about uniform heat from all the nozzles of the stove, we complete the operation.
10. Keep an eye on the level, if the air bubbles have stopped coming out, the coolant does not go anywhere and the partner will confirm that there is uniform hot air from all the nozzles of the stove, then you can close the filling hole.
11. To complete the operation:
- let the engine cool down
- Open the radiator filler cap
- if the antifreeze level is gone, then top up the antifreeze to the required level
- Turn on test 7 on the dashboard to track the temperature and monitor the readings, the temperature should not exceed 97 degrees
That’s all, the system is pumped! Keep an eye on the temperature for a couple of days when using your car.
Volumes of liquid coolant for all BMW E39 models (together with air conditioning system)
520d (M47) – 9.40 liters’
520i (M52) – 10.50 liters’
520i (M54) – 10.50 liters’
523i (M52) – 10.50 liters’
525td (M51) –10.00 liters’
525tds (М51) –10.00 liters’
525d (M57) –8.40 liters’
525i (M54) –10.50 liters’
528i (M52) –10.50 liters’
530d (M57) –9.70 liters’
530i (M54) –10.50 liters’
535i (M62) –12.50 liters’
540i (M62) –12.50 liters’
M5 (S62) –12.75 liters’
The maximum period of use of the coolant is 2 years.
If you completely replace the coolant in the system, we recommend installing a new coolant tank cover (or better yet, once a year)
What antifreeze to use
Any quality coolant with the GS 94000 specification (previously known as BMW N 600 69.0), or what is recommended in the TIS.
We will also present a number of liquids that we recommend in the purchase for your car:
Addinol Antifreeze Super Addinol Lube Oil GmbH
Alpine Antifreeze Extra Mitan Mineraloel GmbH
Aral Antifreeze Extra Aral AG
AVIA Antifreeze APN AVIA Mineraloel AG
Protection against freezing of the cooling system of BMW AG
Caltex CX Engine Coolant Caltex
Castrol ANTI-FREEZE NF Castrol International
EVOX Extra G48 Antifreeze concentrate MOL-LUB Ltd.
Fridex G48 Velvena s.a.
Glacelf Plus Total
Glycoshell Shell International
Glysantin G48-24 Engine Coolant UNICO Ltd.
Glysantin Protect Plus / G48 BASF
Havoline AFC (BD04) ChevronTexaco/Arteco
OMV Kuehlerfrostschutz OMV AG
There are also hybrid antifreezes that have access to BMW:
Glysantin G 48 (concentrate)
Aral Antifreeze Extra
Caltex CX Antifreeze Coolant
Castrol Antifreeze NF
EVOX Extra G 48 Antifreeze